OSHAWA – In late April, We Are Oshawa presented a resolution to Oshawa City Council in opposition to the planned cuts to Canada Post. Council unanimously adopted the resolution and forwarded it to other municipalities and our local Conservative MP, Colin Carrie. Colin Carrie responded with a letter to Oshawa City Council in which he condescendingly reminded council that Canada Post is an “arms-length Crown Corporation, and is solely responsible for its operations, including business and financial decisions.” He also points out that two thirds of Canadian households do not receive mail delivery at home and that taxpayers should not be expected to subsidize home delivery.
Here are the facts:
- The Conservatives have the power to save door-to-door delivery but they voted against it
- Despite two thirds of Canadians using Community Mail Boxes, many of whom live in apartment buildings, 60 percent of Canadians oppose the Harper Conservative’s plan to cut door to door delivery
- Canada Post has returned revenues to the Government of Canada for 16 of the past 17 years, with the exception of 2011 when the Harper Conservatives unjustly locked out postal workers which lead to a decline in mail
- The proposed cuts would result in the losses of good paying jobs at a time of stubbornly high unemployment
- Eliminating door to door delivery would be especially hard on seniors and people living with disabilities and would undermine their ability to live independently
We Are Oshawa spokesperson, Jesse Cullen, says Colin Carrie’s letter shows how divisive and negative the Conservatives have become. “Up until very recently, my family and I lived in an apartment building and we did not have home delivery. However, I was still an advocate for door-to-door delivery because, like most Canadians, I was concerned about the impacts these cuts would have on other people in my community.”
The proposed cuts would leave Canada as the only country in the G7 to end door-to-door mail delivery. At a time when we should be investing in good public services and good jobs, Colin Carrie and the Harper Conservatives are engaging in reckless cuts. That’s not fair and it’s not right.
For more information, please contact or visit:
Jesse Cullen: 905.441.9112
Tiffany Balducci: 905.391.1571
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter
I saw the strong resolution passed by Oshawa City Council – now I understand where the real leadership came from!
As a member of Solidarity Against Austerity in Ottawa, I want to let you know that our recently launched postal services campaign is now fully engaged in the same struggle. You can read about some of our efforts at one of our websites: saaworkersaction.com/postal-services-campaign
I know that many other likeminded organizations are dedicating real time and energy to this, alongside the efforts of CUPW members and allies. This is a difficult but definitely a winnable battle — we just have to be smart, determined, and ambitious.